Thursday, April 19, 2007

Kaituna - 1st May 2007

It was time for a trip down to the Kaituna, just north of Rotorua. In recent times this river has been in the news as it is subject to a potential hydro scheme. It will totally ruin the river - one of the most famous rivers with paddling circles in the world!!!

Anyway, we headed down on the Sunday morning, bright and early. Only myself and Rhys had paddled the river before so it was wind up time for the rest the guys. Tales of beatings and long visits to the green room were exchanged.

The flow was a lowly 300 on the guage - definately a playboat run. Superb. I was however a little nervous as this was the first outing for me in my playboat for over 6 months. My ankle had prevented me from contorting it into the none existing foot room. But I was good to go.

The amazing thing about the Kaituna is the water is warm. If only every river were like this. The first major section is Powerhouse. A short section that used to be an old mill. Deep in a bush filled gorge you head over a small pourover/drop (about 2.5m) into and 'eddy'. This eddy is somewhat boily and not really a fun place to be. Then with a barrage of water from river left its a short ferry glide to position yourself to boof the wier. A swim here would result in a very very green experience. In classic Ben fashion I pulled somewhat of a mystery move over the first drop. The cushion wave I wanted to brace on wasn't there so I ended up pencilling (read: virtually front looping and face planting in the eddy) the drop. No biggy, a quick roll (read: 3 rolls) and I was good to go over the wier. Which was boofed without a problem. The rest of the group, including a very very scared looking Ash made it without too much drama.

Next stop the Waterfall. Tutea falls is described as 'one of the best boofs in New Zealand'. Well I am sure it is. If you time it right and actually boof that is. Cramming into the last chance eddy above the drop we ran through a few various scenarios. Not really sure why as in my view there is only one line and thats down. I think it was actually Rhys who called for the stop so he could build up the courage to padle off it. Haha. The drop is at the end of a narrow gorge so there is no scout. You effectively run it blind from the river and wait for the whistle to signal the all clear. Rhys went first. Whistle. I was off. Starting left, heading right, boof, hit the pile and paddle to glory!!!! Well that was the plan. All went well, semi boof, hit the pile, however the surge (which is totally luck of the draw) caught me and down I went.


I rolled up on the far river left against the rocks. Hmmmm, interesting. It seems I had gone deep, and flushed across. Problem my paddle had caught the water coming over the fall. And that was that, my shoulder was wrenched back and was buggered.


I paddled to the side in pain. Sat on the rocks to watch the rest of the carnage as the others dropped over the edge. Not one boof amongst them!! Haha.


I had to paddle the rest of the river with a gammy bung shoulder. Thankfully it wasn't far, the whole run is only a 30-40 minute blast. But that was it, my paddling was over.

Fab trip. Love that river. Shame about the injury....

No comments: