Thursday, April 19, 2007

Fuljames - Easter Weekend

Easter was spent at the famous Fuljames wave in Taupo. It is on the Waikato River, which due to its numerous hydro schemes has hugely variable flow. In order for the wave to work the flow has to be up around 200 cumecs. This happens daily during the week as this is when the businesses in the area need power. Weekends however the flow is just a low base flow. However, thanks to some excellent work and pleading by Nicki we had a 2 days of FULL flow all to ourselves over Easter. We even got granted permission from the local Iwi to camp right above the wave. It was a 30 second walk down some steps to the eddy and some natural hotpools. AWESOME!!!

However there was a problem. The week before, paddling the Kaituna, I buggered my shoulder. However, I was not going to miss out on a rare occasion of paddling the Fuljames wave. It was the site of the first freestyle world champs after all. The wave is pretty sweet. I also deliberately didn't seek medical advice on my shoulder post Kaituna so that i wouldn't be going against any advice this weekend. Of course the Dr's would tell me not to paddle, but then if they never told me, I would be guilt free. Ignorance is bliss.

After hearty breakfast of beans and a few cups of coffee to clear the hangover from the night before, and a dose of ibuprofen for the shoulder, we kitted up and went for a short float down the river above the wave whilst we waited for the flow to optimise.

It was very, very, VERY boily (Bitches boily), which provided endless entertainment in a tiny playboat. Then we hit the wave. The first run down was just a blast through. Then it was to the eddy and onto (hopefully) to rip it up pulling some really sick moves. Well that was the plan. I think I am now world class at mystery move no's 1 through 5!!!


Sadly my rides were relatively short lived. I simply could not take the pain in my shoulder. Easter Sunday was spent playing official camera man, kicking back in the sun, sipping beer (medicinal) and cheering on the spankings dished out by Fuljames at full bore!!!! Excellent weekend!!! Its off to Physio for me!!!

No comments: