Thursday, October 25, 2007

Rangitoto

So as I am leaving NZ I thought I had better get around to ticking a few of the things I always meant to do off the list. One of them was to climb Rangitoto.

Rangitoto is the most recent volcono to have erupted in the Auckland Volcanic Field. It sits out in the Hauraki Gulf watching over the city, and can be viewed from most places. To keep the nerd level down to a minimum I shall only give you a few facts. It is between 600 - 700 years old. It was formed over a series of eruptions over anywhere between a 10 yr and a 100 yr period. It is not going to erupt again (like all the volcanoes in the area) and the name means 'Blood Sky' in Maori. But thats enough of the boring stuff.


With Becky up in Auckland en-route to Seattle it was an ideal time to visit. And the weather was spot on too. So after a lie in and recovery from the night before Becky, Rachel and myself headed for the ferry.


After the dissapointment of Becky not being sea sick on the the way we headed off to catch the tractor to the top. Yes, yes, i know I said I wanted to climb it, but time was against us and to be frank, I really couldn't be arsed doing it under my own steam!!! And besides, it was a guided tour. the driver did a very good job if keeping us not very well informed. Ah well, it allowed time for a power nap to cure the hangover.

The tractor doesn't actually go all the way to the top. There is a 15 minute board walk right to the summit. But the views from the top are superb. Over to Waiheke and the Coramandel beyond, the North Shore, and of course the city itself.





No comments: